ROW80 Round One: 2/2/11 Check-In

2 Feb

Yay! This has been a productive week for me, especially in comparison to the previous couple of weeks.

Including Sunday, and not including today, I’ve written 1,329 words on Cracked and at least 1,000 words during my Cavendish revisions/rewrites, so that brings me to 2,329 for the week so far, which averages out to 776 words per day, which far exceeds my adjusted ROW80 goal of 300 words per day, and even exceeds (by a smidge!) my original goal of 750 words per day.

Huzzah!

I mean, this isn’t really that much, but relatively speaking, it’s tremendous!

I reworked the Cracked prologue and am almost finished with it. I’ve halted the fairy tales for now because I needed a break from them.

Re: Cavendish, I’ve basically completed my first round of post-betas rewrites & revisions. I’m very happy with the feedback I got from my brilliant, wonderful, spectacular betas, and there are a few rough spots here and there I still need to smooth out, but overall, revisions are going as swimmingly as this plucky chica:

So, whew! I’m glad to finally be making this kind of progress again. Said progress has been at least partially made possible by The Really Frickin’ Ginormous and Nationwide Snowpocalypse, which left us North Texans with several inches of ice and snow, not to mention below zero wind chills. I mean, seriously. This is TEXAS we’re talking about. We’re not equipped to deal with this craziness — technologically, mentally, emotionally. Therefore, the entire metroplex shut down, and I’m enjoying a couple of cozy days at home with Mom. Her first chemo treatment was actually supposed to be today, but her doctor’s offices closed, so they’re moving that to Thursday. It’s for the best, really. I did NOT want to be hoofing it across the metroplex in this weather, especially with us being already freaked out because of, you know, the CHEMO. Oy.

Anyway, I’m starting to ramble. Here’s the linky for the other intrepid ROW-ers.

Also, if you’re interested, do check out my regular post for today, all about how talkative we writers can be, and if that can be a bad thing, especially during the first draft stage.

About these ads

11 Responses to “ROW80 Round One: 2/2/11 Check-In”

1. Kait Nolan February 2, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Yay for productivity! I know that makes you feel better. :D

2. Claudia Lefeve February 2, 2011 at 11:55 am #

Sounds like you got a lot accomplished! And I know what you mean. I’m from South Texas and I’ve lived in the DC area for 10 years…they laugh when I refuse to drive in the snow and I’m like, “Hello?? I grew up on the beach!”

• Claire February 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Exactly! It’s not that we’re incapable (Texans are as gritty and resourceful as they come!); it’s just that it hardly ever happens, so we’re not used to it!

3. Jessica Thomas February 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

Heh heh. Snow and ice in Texas. (I’m only laughing because I’m jealous up here in Indiana where winters are always a chore…)

Great job on your progress.

• Claire February 3, 2011 at 9:47 am #

Thank you, Jessica! I hope you’re managing to stay warm up there! Did y’all get a big snowdump? Brrr!

4. Robin February 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

Way back when I lived in Texas in the 60′s, remember a snowfall and every thing stopped. They just weren’t equipped to handle it. Hopefully things have gotten better since then. Love dory – just keep swimming! Glad you had a productive week. Off to read your other post.

• Claire February 3, 2011 at 9:46 am #

They’re pretty good about trying to salt the highways, but smaller streets? No way. And even with salted highways, people just aren’t used to driving in this, nor are there cars equipped for it, so it just makes for a big ol’ mess, oy.

Who DOESN’T love Dory? :D

Thank you for reading and commenting, Robin!

5. Belinda Kroll February 3, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swiiiiiim. We swiiiiiim.

Except we write. Loving your attitude. Keep it up!

• Claire February 3, 2011 at 9:31 am #

Don’t you love her? I sing that song to myself all the time! It can get a little intense when I get to the part where she starts to sing operatically… ;)

Thank you for the encouragement, Belinda! :)

6. andrewmocete February 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Kick-ass progress Claire! I need to move where the city shuts down for snow. I’m not gritty, I’m wimpy. I see snow and want to stay home.

• Claire February 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm #